With time changes, social norms for the personal as well as professional behavior also changes. But, this does not mean that the basic etiquette changes. Business is not just about making money, it is about people. When you are respectable and have good manners, business comes to you. There are some business etiquette rules that would help you in the long run:
- Promptness: As we all know, first impression is the best impression. Be it a job interview or a client meeting, professionalism is exhibited through promptness. Being punctual or even early is never wrong, because punctuality speaks volumes on etiquette. A professional who is late for meetings or appointments give an impression that they do not respect the value of other people’s time.
- Be prepared: After punctuality, next comes preparation. Any day, being prepared for a meeting plays a major role in the person’s characteristics. Preparation means to have all the resources like the reports, sales brochures and the other documents ready for use. Failure to be prepared makes one appear unprofessional as well as sloppy.
- Never interrupt: Would you like if someone talks in between when you talk? Don’t you feel that the person is not interested in your talks? The same thing happens with others as well. Always listen to what the other person has to say, and then voice out your opinions.
- The three golden words – please, thank you and sorry: This makes you polite. Yes, it is mandatory to use these terms when you are in business. This makes you sound like a person from a respectable background, and sure to win you some brownie points!
- Watch your words: Etiquette is a mix of verbal as well as non-verbal communication. When you are using non-verbal communication, make sure you do not give out negativity. As far as words are concerned, make sure that you pick and choose proper words for communication.
In the upcoming blog post, we will check out on the 6 vital business etiquette one must know.
Habiliss virtual assistant services, to complete your professional and personal chores!